Saturday, December 4, 2010

Letter to My Best Friend

We've known each other for a little over two years now. For others, this might be a short period of time for us to be called best friends. But for me, friendship or any kind of relationship is not a question of how long but always a question of how strong. You don't count the years you've spent with a person in order to say that you've built a relationship. It's about the quality of time that you've spent with them. For the short time that we've been friends, you've showed me how important our friendship is to you and made me feel what having a best friend feels like. Because of this I want to thank you.


Thank you for all the time that you've spent with me. Be it the time we spent doing nothing or the time we spent doing what we think is exciting. It made me feel that I'm alive and I have a purpose for it. Thank you for the stories and secrets that you've shared to me. Be it a sad story or a hilarious one. It made me feel that I am trusted. Thank you for your strengths and weaknesses. It made my insecurities disappear. It also made me realize my own strengths and weaknesses and having them is part of being a human and there's nothing to be ashamed of. Thank you for the dreams that we've built. It made me feel that I am not lost and I have someone whom I can share a part of my life with. Thank you for supporting and believing in me. Especially for the times when my own family doesn't. It gave me the courage to believe in myself and take risks. Thank you for the lessons learned. I know that it made me a better person.


I know that in our age today, having a boyfriend is becoming a 'must' and it is hard for others to believe that you are actually happy being single. But you know what, what people don't know is that they actually have a love life. I am not pertaining to the usual romantic love life because I think anything that has love as the foundation is worthy to be called a love life. For me it is the friendship that I have with you. I also think that it is one of the most enduring love that exists. It outlives people. It makes being single less lonely. I don't know what will happen to our love story in the future and I might never know. But what is empirical to me to me right now is that I'll gladly replay our story over and over again. I'll always be glad to eat lunch with you at Mang Ed's even if it means eating lechon kawali everyday. I'll always be glad to share my skyflakes with you no matter how hungry I am. I'll always be glad to eat the pastries that you bake no matter how sponge-like they turn out to be. I'd gladly go to an adventure with you no matter how hectic my schedule can become. And I'll never tire of telling people about our story for the simple reason that I don't.


With this letter I pour my heart and soul to you saying how much better my life has become for the past two years. But I know it will never be enough to express my gratitude to God for sending me someone like you and to you for being who you are.


You'll always be part of my family. And now I'll end this letter with a hope that we will overcome whatever challenges that come our way and with those experiences, together we'll grow into a much better person God has planned us to be. I love you and I always will.


0 comments:

Post a Comment